The History of the Town

The first documented mention of the locality dated back in 1319. In this document the denomination "Castrum Cheevar" is used - earth citadel - the property of Elefánti Dezsõ, received as gift from the King. It seems that it had the role to protect the establishment from the precincts of the actual town of Cehu Silvaniei. For centuries running the owners of the citadel have changed: families Drágffi, Gyulafi, Báthori, Tököli, Apafi and Bornemissza family have owned in turns the domain. 

The town enjoys various privileges starting right from the XV century. In the year 1468, the king Matei Corvin authorisez the organization of a national fair, and in 1529 the privilege given to the citadel by Sigismund Bathory in order to self governing. Besides the blooming periods and economic prosperity, the citadel also deals with a period of decline. Hence, in the middle of XVI century, the army of Austrian empire besieged the citadel. Afterwards, the citadel is attacked by ottoman armies. Furthermore the role of the citadel played during the kuruc rebellion. The revolutionary movements from 1848, the two world wars and the communist period are just a few episodes that had an impact on the economic development of settlements.

After the administrative reform from 1968, from a well organized centre from administrative point of view, Cehu SIlvaniei becomes a province town where did not exist anymore state institutions like Court of Law or Notary Offices, and the number of intellectuals has considerably decreased. After a stagnation period, prosperous years follow: increases the numbers of inhabitants as a result of industrialization amd starting with the ‘70s 900 blocks of flats are built.